Anyone may use the Library and its resources without charge! All members of our community are welcome to read our books, use our space to study or relax, and access our website even without a library card. For other services, see below.
The North Miami Beach Public Library is a municipal library and is not part of any other systems, including the Miami-Dade Public Library System. All materials borrowed from the NMB Library must be returned to the NMB Library. Materials returned to other unaffiliated libraries will be considered lost if not recovered and returned by the patron who borrowed them.
Getting a Library Card
A library card is required to access the following services:
- Check out materials to be taken home
- Access to online materials such as ebooks and databases
- Reserve study rooms online
- Use computers for more than 15 minutes
- Proof of identity (a photo ID) and proof of address are required to obtain a library card
- Library cards last for 2 years for residents and 1 year for all others
Who Can Get a Library Card?
- Residents and property owners in the City of North Miami Beach, the city of Hialeah, the city of North Miami, and the Miami-Dade Public Library’s taxing district are entitled to a free card upon showing proper identification.
- Non-Residents may purchase a card for $30 annually or $12 for three months.
- Children over the age of 5 may be registered for cards by their parents or guardians, who must be present in order to do so; children’s cards will remain linked to their guardian’s accounts until they turn 16.
- Teens ages 13 to 18 may register for their own cards by presenting a current school ID with a photo and a report card showing their name and current address; if these are not available, a parent or guardian must register for them.
How Do I Get My Card?
To apply in person, visit the Library and present proof of identity and residence; you will be asked to fill out a short form.
To apply online, visit our website and input your information; the resulting card can be used immediately for online resources but will expire in 2 weeks unless you visit the library to provide proof of identity and residence.
The following forms of ID are acceptable:
- FL Driver’s License
- FL State ID
- US National ID
- Other ID card with recent photo and name clearly visible
The following forms of proof of address are acceptable:
- ID with address
- Bank statements
- Leases, deeds, mortgages
- Car registrations
- Local utility bills
- School report cards
- Tax bills
- Voter registration cards
At the Circulation Manager’s discretion, we may be able to accept phone photos of documents in lieu of the documents themselves.